XML in documentation

Subject: XML in documentation
From: "Techwhirl Reader" <techwhirl -at- mail -dot- technicalcommunication -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 05:41:43 PST

Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody is currently implementing XML in any fashion in their documentation systems, be it online or print...

What are some tips you might have for someone looking to do a full implementation of XML? How are you handling online display (XSL, CSS, etc.?), and the print format (maybe you use Frame+SGML or some other tool?).

Sure you can go with something like BladeRunner and pay $40,000, or something similar if not more for Arbortext's Epic, but what are some feasible options you might be aware of or you might currently use?

The problem I'm experiencing is trying to evaluate the right tools for the job. Sure you can create XML in Frame+SGML, but I don't believe it has any XSL tool. Plus it's XML functionality is not embedded--it just has a "Save As" option as far as I know. I imagine this may present problems. Especially since I don't think you can use an XML DTD with it--only SGML.

And sure you can create plain XML in something like XMetal by SoftQuad, but then you're ignoring print. And again, no XSL tool for online display.

Does anyone have any ideas about the best combo of tools? If I hear anything good offline, I'll share with the group. Also, over the next month as I implement this new system, I'd be glad to keep folks posted about how my experience goes if you're interested.

Thanks,

Imran Zaidi
imran -at- technicalcommunication -dot- com