Need suggestions for converting Autocad to AI 8.0

Subject: Need suggestions for converting Autocad to AI 8.0
From: Rich Collins <rich -at- pluris -dot- com>
To: "writers list (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:29:17 -0800

Hello to all,

Adobe has taken their forums off the air until they can fix the problems
with them. The FrameMaker users list server seems to be out of action. What
is the world coming to?

Anyway, I am using Illistrator 8.0 after skipping through several versions.
I seem to recall that earlier versions did a passable job of importin
Autocad files, but this version simply chokes. Perhaps in years gone by I
was using some kind of converter to massage the Autocad files and put out AI
files? Too many years and too many programs have slipped by me. Also, I was
on the Mac then and now I'm on NT.

What do NT based people use today to get Autocad files into Illustrator 8.0?
Also, at one time I had a neat source that listed all the possible graphics
formats under the sun and recommended various ways to mix and match them
with text programs for all platforms. It was quite impressive. Has anyone
seen anything like that lately? I checked the archives and came up blank.

Thanks for any advice.

Rich