RE: HTML editor

Subject: RE: HTML editor
From: ahowell -at- poolmail -dot- dolphinsoftware -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:43:47 -0500

Take a look at Dreamweaver. It doesn't mess with the code as much as other
programs (you can easily switch to HTML view to edit the code) and it makes it
easy to work with CSS, JavaScripts, forms, and most other web-based bells and
whistles. It also has an excellent site manager. You can download a trial copy
at Macromedia's site (http://www.macromedia.com).

"Ed Nixon" <ed -dot- nixon -at- LynnParkPlace -dot- org> on 12/13/99 04:37:31 PM

Please respond to "Ed Nixon" <ed -dot- nixon -at- LynnParkPlace -dot- org>

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc: (bcc: Ann Howell/Dolphin)

> From: Heit, Debra
> Subject: HTML editor
> Can someone recommend a WYSIWYG HTML editor? I'm sick to
> death of FrontPage
> and need something that is better behaved.

A lot of people like Allaire's HomeSite.

If you want a personal opinion, WYSIWYG is inherently poorly behaved because
of the revision model it has to support, i.e., spontaneous, non-systematic,
un-structured. In this sense it shares its drawback with all things
WYSIWYG -- Word, WordPerfect, FrontPage, etc., etc. Codes get jumbled, lost,
confused and, consequently, generate their own additional work.

HomeSite has three document views (as do most of the top line tools): text
view with mark-up, Browser View (for previewing) and Design View (for
assigning formatting and style).

In addition it comes with an HTML Validator for checking up HTML syntax and,
now, a Cascading Style Sheet Editor called TopStyle. TopStyle is a
standalone product as well and is the creation of the original HomeSite
designer/developer, Nick Bradbury.

If you really, really need to deal with HTML by hand (rather than via
scripting or template conversion tools), it's as good as they get before you
move into the realm of personal preferences.

Cheers. ...edN

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.

ahowell -at- poolmail -dot- dolphinsoftware -dot- com