Dialog box/Window/Editor

Subject: Dialog box/Window/Editor
From: "Nana Kato" <nana -at- tenryutechnics -dot- co -dot- jp>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:21:05 +0900

Hello all,

Could anybody familiar with the Windows' screen terminology help
me, please? In our users manual for our Windows application, I denote
miscellaneous Windows elements according to the MS Manual of
Style. In most cases, this works satisfactorily. But I wonder one thing. In
our
application, we have several types of windows. In many cases, I call
them xxx dialog box, since they actually serve to convey the user's
input to the system. But there are different types of windows like
these:

1. Displays the system's status for the user to view but does not have
setting
fields to convey user's input.
2. It may be a dialog box but may rather be called "editor" or "window"
since it is where the user edit a program to run the system.

Do you think it is ok to call them xxx dialog box? In the MS manual, where
a very specific element name is defined, they often note, "In general, do
not
use the terms xxx in end-user material; use xxx instead." This confuses me
even worse! In our application, differenciating such terms does not seem
so important to the user. In this sense, I can work around using the most
neutral word "window" to refer to all the windows. But if there are
appropriate
terminologies, I prefer that.

I appreciate any comment or enlightenment.
Thank you very much in advance!

Nana Kato
nana -at- tenryutechnics -dot- co -dot- jp