Web site file structure

Subject: Web site file structure
From: Barbara Stuhlemmer <barbara -at- group -dot- com>
To: "Writers List (E-mail 2)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:50:34 -0500

Can anyone provide some insight in to the best way to configure the file
structure of a web site? We currently have a lot of small files in a few large
directories. The concern is that the file structure may inhibit the
performance of the server and reduce the usability of the web site.

Is there an industry standard (if it's like anything else in our business, I
highly doubt it) or guide to best performance? Suggested reading, web sites or
other reference material appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gary, it's not Friday, so no "duh" responses :)

Barbara Stuhlemmer
Technical Writer, The Software Group Ltd.
(barbara -at- group -dot- com)