RE: ethical consulting practices?

Subject: RE: ethical consulting practices?
From: "Miller, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Miller -at- Anheuser-Busch -dot- com>
To: "'Bill Hartzer'" <BHartzer -at- cha-systems -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:00:37 -0600

Bill wrote:

"They "say" that the reason they ask this is because they don't
want to 'present' you to any companies where you have already been
'presented'. But, they _REALLY_ want to know where you have been
interviewing so that they can find out what companies in the area are
hiring so that they can find some other technical writer to present
to that company (because obviously (to them) you're not going to get
the job at the company where you interviewed)."

(the following is my opinion and my opinion only)

It is beneficial for the consulting company to know more about their
competition, and who is hiring what skills. This, however, is not the reason
they ask the potential consultant to divulge what companies are submitting his
or her resume.

Client-companies (those hiring consultants) are known to pass over a resume
submitted by two (or more) consulting companies. The client-companies don't
want to get in the middle of contract negotiations with the consultant, nor do
they want to be in the business of recommending one agency over another.
Consulting agencies are all equal "delivery mechanisms" in the eyes of the
client-companies. Preferrential treatment of specific consulting companies is
discouraged once the consulting company has been placed on the vendor list.
This frees the client-companies to hire an individual based on their merits
alone. A consultant being represented by more than one agency is just a
headache for client-companies.

On the ethical issue - if the personalities don't mix at the interview - run
away, fast! Employees of a company are usually good barometers of the company's
culture and personality. A good mix at interview time is essential, I think.

Lisa Miller
Technical Writer
lisa -dot- miller -at- anheuser-busch -dot- com