Re: Examples of good tech writing

Subject: Re: Examples of good tech writing
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: Robert Heath <rheath -at- eGain -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:53:35 -0700

At 04:35 PM 99/12/02 -0800, Robert Heath wrote:

The recent thread about best-of-breed help systems got me wondering how I
might get a look at examples of best-of-breed hard-copy manuals. As a rookie
writer in a rookie publications department, I hunger for examples of what
has worked, as well as examples of different formats and methods of
organizing content.

You might find it interesting to look at some of Apple's _Inside_Macintosh_ manuals. In my humble opinion, they consistently exhibit very high standards of techwriting. What's more, you can download PDF versions free!

Try:
Macintosh Toolbox Essentials: http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Toolbox/Toolbox-2.html
Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines: http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/HIGuidelines/HIGuidelines-2.html

There's more listed on:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macos8/Indexes/documentindex.html

Hewlett-Packard has also produced some wonderful documentation for their hand-held calculators. Anybody know if that is online somewhere? (Heck, by a calculator. That way you get the manual _and_ a free calculator!)

Regards,
Philip Sharman