Re: Designing a new help system -- Oh boy! ...ugh

Subject: Re: Designing a new help system -- Oh boy! ...ugh
From: "Donna Marino" <domarino -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Techwrl" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 12:16:09 -0700

Connie,

The users I've worked with on several projects have told me that they
consider screen shots in online help to be a bother because they have to
wade through too much information to find the answer they're looking for.
I've always thought that online help is supposed to answer a specific
question and let you get back to the task at hand, rather than providing an
online tutorial for how to use the system. Online help and online tutorials
are two different things.

But you should definitely listen to your users. If they want to see screens
in online help, I would provide them. Every audience is different.

donna