Re: Resumes and such

Subject: Re: Resumes and such
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:56:29 -0500

John Posada writes (in part):

" ...Tell me, as a *manager*, what YOU ARE GOING TO DO FOR ME!. I don't care
what you want to do and I'm not interested in anything you are proud of . .
" (* emphasis added)

I agree with John, but with a different take. As a WRITER reviewing resumes,
I want to know if you can do what I need you to do for me: do writing work
so I don't have to do it.

So, I like to see things like "Wrote 200-page developers' reference guide
using FrameMaker 5.5." Or "Interviewed development team and worked closely
with developers designing user interface." I guess it's nice if you also
saved the company, but I'm not looking for that, in particular. ; )

I want to know that you can come in, write, work with developers, use tools,
etc. That way, we can train you on our products, NOT on how to write, how to
punctuate sentences, what a paragraph format is in FrameMaker, how to play
nicely with developers, etc.

And I'm sorry, but just because you "know Word" doesn't mean you can learn
FrameMaker in a snap. And vice versa. I want to know what tools you used in
the past, and for how long, and what you created with them (a pamphlet? a
book?). I don't care if that's "holistic" or not. I'm not here to be
"holistic"; I'm reviewing resumes to find the best person to fulfill our
needs for a tech writer.

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer