Re: Resumes and such

Subject: Re: Resumes and such
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "List, Techwriter" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:30:53 -0800 (PST)

However, a good technical writer with knowledge of the
specific tool(s) will get hired before (just) a good
technical writer.

My point? Just because you are a good tech writer,
don't expect that to be an automatic advantage,
because you may be disappointed. You must keep up with
the "toys"

BTW...my resume is 4 pages long and it has NEVER been
an issue. One of the things being overlooked is that
in today's environment, page count becomes obsolete
because the majority of them are scanned, OCR'd, and
dumped into a database for searching for keywords
(yes, tools, I'm sorry to say, along with other
descriptors).

Wanna get a large number of hits on this type of
resume searching? Include words like UNIX, HTML, cgi,
java, even if they fall in a sentence like "Wrote
documentation for UNIX, HTML, cgi, and java
programmers." Of course, you will have to say "I AM
NOT A PROGRAMMER" over and over.

--- John Olds <Jolds -at- sprynet -dot- com> wrote:
> You reflect a true, wholelistic point of view. I
> would just add that
> a good
> technical writer should always come before tools,
> unless you do not
> need a good
> technical writer.
> Regards,
> John
>
> Kathi Jan Knill wrote:
>
> > I've kept with the resume thread and find the
> points-of-view
> interesting. I
> > too have suffered with interviewing writers who
> could not write, etc.
> And I
> > too have wondered, where are all those good
> writers I've heard about?

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"The art of creating software that is usable by individuals is a communication skill. It is not a programming skill."
--Bill Atkinson, creator of MacPaint and HyperCard