RE: Resumes/Interviewing

Subject: RE: Resumes/Interviewing
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:27:08 EST

>> Tothscribe (Nea Dodson) asks:
>> What would you think of the following resume layout?
[snip]

"Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net> writes:
> I prefer a different format:
> 1. General Statement of My Objective.

Statements of objectives are terrifyingly vague. Objective for what? The resume? (objective: get the job.) The job? (objective: prove I can do the job.) Life? (objective: work in edutainment, make a lot of money, play with the cats, and collect all the episodes of Buffy tVS.)

All of those look particularly bad when actually written down, particularly item 3. :>

Connie Giordano's idea of a Summary of Qualifications is a good one, though. If I'm reading this correctly, you mean a summary of the achievements lists, something like "Taught 3 classes and Wrote 73 User Guides, 17 SOPs, and 5 in-house guides," yes?

Of course, rewriting the resume for every application is the best way of tailoring it... but impossible to do if you're posting your resume online or taking it to a job fair.

Nea Dodson
wondering if we're wandering off topic, but thinking probably not, considering how often contract folks need to send that resume out