Re: Resumes/Interviewing

Subject: Re: Resumes/Interviewing
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:49:39 -0500

"Patricia Y. Castin" wrote:

> The resumes that come across my desk are not representing candidates
> properly ... What I get is "Company Name, Dates,
> Title, and 'documented software', or 'created Help'." This does nothing
> to differentiate one candidate from the others...
>
> What is special about the projects you worked on? ...
> Give me some details and make them count. ...
>
> These kinds of details provide the Interviewer with enough information
> to warrant an in-person interview. Even a carefully crafted "Newbie"
> resume would be considered, ...

Excellent advice.

One more point; for an advertsised position, write a one-page covering
letter with the ad in hand. Point out how you fit the job. In one case I
went as far as putting a table in the letter, a line for each of the ad's
stated requirements. Quote from ad in left column, info on me on right.