What to call a guide accompanying an SDK?

Subject: What to call a guide accompanying an SDK?
From: Peter Kelly <Peter_Kelly -at- baan -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:30:44 -0500

Hello people,

What would you call a guide or manual accompanying a software
developer's kit? Can you have a guide to a kit? Does that not seem strange?
The kit is a bunch of software components intended for developers so that
they can whip out applications fast. I thought that the guide was the "kit"
itself, since the components to be distributed in the SDK do not have any
sort of documentation or user interface and the only indication one could
get on how to use the "kit" was from the documentation--so why not call it
the "SDK". The guide will contain an API, instructions for testing
components developed with the SDK etc. There are those in my midst who
prefer to call the documentation to be provided "The Programmer's Guide to
the SDK" or some such. Please suggest alternatives. This is probably not of
interest for most so please reply offline. I will summarize if anyone
expresses an interest.

Your suggestions are much appreciated

Peter Kelly

Technical Writer