RE: Use of "You"

Subject: RE: Use of "You"
From: "Cascio, Justin" <Justin_Cascio -at- tvratings -dot- com>
To: "'Joanne Meehl'" <Jmeehl -at- datum -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 11:15:26 -0500

I haven't had much problem using second person while rarely using the word
"you." Most of the help is in the form of imperatives.

Use this procedure to copy a widget.
1. From the File menu, choose New.
etc.

Occasionally in overview-type topics, I might say "you," but generally it's
for some kind of "you can" statement, which I then rewrite into a "To"
statement. Puts the emphasis on the tasks instead of the user.

Justin Cascio