RE: he/she thread

Subject: RE: he/she thread
From: Dan Brinegar <vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com>
To: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- home -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:27:18 -0700 (MST)

Alas, the code becomes unworkable shortly after one starts attempting to
cookie for all of the "yer, you're, your's, they're, there' the're, and
here's" liable to be peppered thruout the document (especially in those
sections where a contractor, under the gun, just threw in sans-edit
whatever the SME gave them on Trans-Substantiated Headspace Settings).
One's mind starts to boggle, in fact, when considering the breakdown in the
algorithm as it attempts to decide which pronoun to use based on
verb-choice -- y'all're aware, I'm sure, of the paucity of verbs so
classically indicative of SME-generated source material.

;-D

At 9:31 AM -0600 11/25/99, Ed Gregory wrote:

>How about delivering the documentation via Inter, intra, or extranet. Use
>cookies to identify users who prefer "he" or "she" or "the user" or "the
>person" or "the individual" or "h/she" or "s/he" or "he/she" or "he or she"
>or "they" or "y'all."
>
>Let them view or print the documentation in their own choice of personal
>pronouns.

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid

"Leveraging Institutional Memory through Contextual
Digital Asymptotic Approximations of Application Processes
suited to utilization by Information-Constrained,
Self-Actualizing Non-Technologists."

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com CCDB Vr2Link
http://www.vr2link.com Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.