Re: S/He, Logging, & Klingon Technical Writers

Subject: Re: S/He, Logging, & Klingon Technical Writers
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 08:20:33 -0500

First, Happy Thanksgiving All! (Yes, even those of you who are not
Americans and do not have a holiday today; we can all be thankful for
something.)

Second, we have a native Klingon speaker in our documentation department.
Having a Klingon writer comes in handy for dealing with the "reticent" SME
who has difficulty being forthcoming with information. And our Klingon is
the first writer I have seen who does NOT have to resort to donuts, cookies,
or other goodies in order to entice developers to come to a meeting. People
just seem to want to come to her meetings.

Unfortunately, the he/she thread and the login/log in thread have combined
to cause us to unsubscribe our Klingon from the list. I cannot repeat what
she said. (Literally, I cannot, okay.) But suffice it to say that
management is NOT happy about replacing a number of cubicles and a couple of
PCs. Not that they said anything to her. No, as team leader *I* get all of
that abuse, plus I have to listen to 10 minute diatribes, in Klingon, that
seem to be about clogging the bandwidth with trivia. (In case you didn't
know, Klingons have NO sense of humor.)

Well, I'm off to my Klingon writer's house for dinner this afternoon. I
hope she followed the recipe I gave her for cooking turkey. She did seem
inordinately pleased at the idea of getting out her Bat Leth for the ritual
turkey hunt.

Tom Murrell

"What is this talk of "drafts"? Klingons do not make document "drafts".
Our documents escape, leaving a bloody trail of SMEs in its wake!"
(John David Hickey)