Re: Document(ation) system for Linux and MS windows

Subject: Re: Document(ation) system for Linux and MS windows
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:38:31 -0500

reni -at- intellitel -dot- com wrote:

> Our company is in the process of looking for a document(ation) management
> system.

I'd look at CVS, the more-or-less standard version control system on Linux.
There is also a free windows client.

It lets you keep master copy of everything in a central repository, make
your own copy with "checkout", send your changes to repository with
"commit", get everyone else's changes copied into your version with
"update", ... Works across any TCP/IP network, can use SSH security.

http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/cvs-FAQ/cvsfaq0.html

> The software we are currently using for writing documents is Microsoft
> Word, but we are also actively searching alternative applications (since
> almost everyone in the office has a Linux machine). CorelOffice,
> StarOffice or similar may be a solution.

I'd look at Docbook, an SGML DTD (with unofficial XML version) that
supports output to HTML, PDF, and several other formats. Much used on
Linux, e.g by Linux Documentation Project (http://www.linuxdocs.org)
and Open Source Writers' Group (http://www.oswg.org). Supported by
some commercial tools like Frame/SGML and used by people like Sun.

http://www.docbook.org

There's a recent O'Reilly book "Docbook, the Definitive Guide".