RE: log vs login

Subject: RE: log vs login
From: "Campbell, Art" <artc -at- northchurch -dot- net>
To: "'Katie Crowley Rosenberg'" <krosenbe -at- easysystemsinc -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:22:32 -0500

I think the developers are correct in this case. The "login" that they're
talking about is the name of the program that runs and allows you to work on
the system/network. You type your name and password at a prompt (OK, there
are probably exceptions) that submits the info to the login program.

A second disadvantage to using "log" as a noun related to the validation
process is that there is usually a log file generated by the login program.
If your audience is techy, particularly if they're system admins, you're
going to be creating sentences that are confusing or don't make sense.

Art

Art Campbell
Technical Publications
Newbridge Networks