RE: numbering in styles in Word

Subject: RE: numbering in styles in Word
From: MAGGIE SECARA <SECARAM -at- mainsaver -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Alex Silbajoris'" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:16:06 -0800

LOL, Oh Alex, yes it's chuckling you hear but it's not derisive, just
painful sympathy. The ugly truth is that this part of your template can't
be self-driving. If they want to number anything, have them press Tab to
indent, and type the next number, a period, and another Tab (sop the spacing
stays even). All the workarounds and other tricks available will just
confuse anyone who's not prepared for them--and most of the rest of us who
are.

The autonumbering feature is broken. The tabs jump back in whenever they
please, and everything renumbers from 1 thru 399 through every numbered list
in your manual. Do not create a number style and put it on the tool bar.
The default on the tool bar button keeps changing, and even old styles
you've deleted will return from the dead to do it. They just do.

The thing I just figured out (with a healthy dose of analysis from Bear)
(Yo, Bear!) is to modify one of the formats of the basic 6 in the
Tools/Bullets and Numbering dialog. Then each time I want to start or
continue a list, go to the menu, the dialog, and that specific number
format. Remember which one it is!
Use it every time. It's a few more keystrokes up front, but my fingernails
are growing back and my temper is cooler by several degrees. Every other
trick, every macro I've recorded, every Style I've saved blows up early or
late. Doing it manually is the only thing that seems to be working
consistently. I just got through an 80 page tutorial and I am pain-free.
For now. In another few months, who knows? :) Just the magic of Microsoft!

Cheers!

Maggie Secara
secaram -at- mainsaver -dot- com

"All the world's a stage, Mick, but some of us are dreadfully
under-rehearsed."