ArborText: what's your take on its Word to XML conversion?

Subject: ArborText: what's your take on its Word to XML conversion?
From: Ron Rhodes <RRhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L digest' (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:49:41 -0500

Dear Techwhirlers:

My company is looking for an XML authoring tool that can convert existing
Word documents (and ones created in the future, too). Somehow, maybe even
through this list, I found a company called ArborText. Here are some the
feature is CLAIMS to have.

* It produces 100% XML, no supporting files or formats like, .css, .asp,
htm, supporting java applets, etc. Just XML (and the supporting DTD files,
obviously.)

* In converts Word Docs to XML.

* Easy-to-use interface for mapping from Word Styles to XML elements.

* Auto indexing (which is automatically hyperlinked)

* Auto Table of Contents (which is also automatically hyperlinked)

* Profiles -- meaning if my company ever authors several "versions" of
on-line content, say Spanish-English-French-Italian, or
Sales-Support-Marketing-FAQ, you could click, say the French profile, and it
would deactivate the other languages. Or you could click the FAQ profile,
and it would deactivate the other areas -- I need a little more info on this
feature to fully understand it.

If any of you have used ArborText. How well does it convert Word to XML?
What's your take on the product in general?

Thanks to all of you who have helped me thus far. I really appreciate your
help. I am still doing some evaluation on other products and will publish
my findings on the list. But ArborText seems to be where I am going to
focus my efforts, for now. That is, unless I get an overwhelmingly negative
response (which, for some reason, I don't expect to).

Hoping this message finds all of you well. Happy Thanksgiving to all of
you!

I have a lot to be thankful for, namely my wife and 9-month-old daughter.

God Bless,

Ron Rhodes