Re: Incorporating a Techdoc Business

Subject: Re: Incorporating a Techdoc Business
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "John J. Gardiner" <john -at- johngardiner -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:35:17 -0800

John J. Gardiner wrote:

> I am interested in hearing from those of you who have incorporated your
> technical documentation business in California. After serious
> consideration, I've concluded that I should incorporate my one-man shop.
> Problem is, I am unclear on the process. State web sites on the subject are
> nearly useless.

The very best source on the subject is not the state of California but Nolo
Press (www.nolopress.com). They not only offer books on doing legal matters
yourself (books that are highly regarded even in the legal profession, except
for the minor fact that when you do it yourself you aren't paying a lawyer to
do it), but they also have software packages that guide you through several
different kinds of legal processes, including incorporating. And it appears
the incorporation package is on sale, at least if you buy it through their web
site.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems