Re: Writing Test?

Subject: Re: Writing Test?
From: "Ivan Gelicall" <ivan_gelicall -at- hotbot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:14:28 -0800

All:

I would not take a test to prove to some idiot that I can do my job. If you cannot ascertain from the interview that I can do the job, then I dont want to work for you. Ive worked at start-ups and established companies, such as Netscape. Only one company ever put a test in front of me, and I regretted every moment that I had to work for that company, but I was young and Naive. It seems to me that the most successful companies have eliminated this archaic practice. Besides testing never provided any insight into someone's quirks and personality. And there are allot of damaged people out there. For example:

I once interviewed a candidate who had a Masters in English and who had taught tech writing. When I rejected her candidacy, she sent me a threat letter. NOW, I don't see how a test would have revealed this personality flaw. But, an extensive interview did!

IG

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com