RE: Famous Technical Writers?

Subject: RE: Famous Technical Writers?
From: John Garison <jgarison -at- ide -dot- com>
To: "'Bill Hartzer'" <BHartzer -at- cha-systems -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:30:48 -0500

I can tell you who the FIRST software technical writer was (is): Joe
Chapline.

Joe worked for Eckert and Mauchley back in the 40s, and he was the first
person ever employed just to document the way a software operating system
worked. I had the pleasure of inviting him to speak at an InterChange
conference in the Boston area a few years ago, and he was fascinating. I
even held his copy of that first manual - and it could pass muster today!

One other possible candidate (with a stretch):
Julius Caesar - some of his military treatises are very technical

John Garison
Documentation Manager
Integrated Development Enterprise, Inc.
150 Baker Avenue Extension