RE: techwr-l digest: November 14, 1999

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: November 14, 1999
From: Angela Hill <ahill -at- wwg -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:47:17 -0800

>3) The pagination in the manual is different from the pagination in the
>Adobe Acrobat program. He wants the page number on the bottom of the Adobe
>Acrobat screen to be identical to the page number in the manual. Is this
>possible to accomplish in PDF?

I've dealt with this before too, and I found that Distiller has a great
solution. You can create two different PostScript files and Distill them
into one PDF. I assume that in your printed manual, page 1 is the first
page of the first chapter. So, create one PostScript file that includes
only the title page and TOC, and one for the rest of the manual. Then when
you use Distiller's nifty feature to distill them into one file, page
numbering will start incrementing from page 1 at the beginning of the
document and then begin at 1 again on the first page of the first chapter.

One interesting side effect of this is that you won't be able to use the
page down key to get from the last page of the TOC to the first page of the
first chapter, because even though it's one PDF Acrobat sees the file as two
PS files. I once created a hyperlinked document designed to be PDF only
where I didn't want the user to be able to page directly through (the
material was discontinuous unless he/she followed the links) and I used this
feature to prevent that.

If you have Acrobat 4 you can read about it in Acrohelp.pdf>Converting
Electronic Files to PDF>Combining multiple PostScript files into one PDF
file.

And while I was looking that up, I found this too--it might be a simpler fix
for you:
Acrohelp.pdf>Working with PDF documents>Renumbering Pages

Have fun!

Angela

Angela Hill
The Windward Group