RE: Proper Grammar - Need For?

Subject: RE: Proper Grammar - Need For?
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: "'Anthony Markatos'" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:40:18 -0700

Tony Markatos wrote:

Bruce believes that standard pilot-to-controller comunications are some some

sort of "secret mens-only club lingo" that is hard to understand and,
therefore, restricts many (especially women) from becoming pilots.

Bruce is wrong. It's not that hard. I received my FAA air traffic control
certification when I was nineteen years old (in the U.S. Air Force). The
year before, I graduated high school with a 2.0 GPA.

<snip>

Again, pilot-to-controller communications are NOT that criptic; there is no
"male-only" conspiracy going on. These communications are very effective.
When was the last time you hard about a mid-air collision within the U.S.
These oral and written communications clearly demonstrate that the key to
effective technical communications is standardization -- not proper grammer.

Salette Latas responds:

Tony,

I also received my FAA air traffic control certification in the U.S. Air
Force. I was 23 and had recently graduated from college with a high GPA.

I had no problem as either a female or an English major with ATC lingo. This
is a situation where delivering information to the audience's standard is of
critical importance, and as you point out, it works very well. I found ATC
training to be an asset to me as a technical communicator.

Salette Latas
Technical Writer
Micron Technology, Inc.