RE: Why is working from a spec like walking on water?

Subject: RE: Why is working from a spec like walking on water?
From: gyaker -at- csc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:54:21 -0500

Not to dig up a dead thread, but I'm curious of everyone's thoughts on this...
I went to a software process seminar earlier this week that spoke to a number of
my company's software development methodologies and our specific project's
methodology. So it turns out there are two main camps of how software should be
created. One states that you define the entire problem to be solved, write
requirements, and write the software from the requirements. The other camp says
the process proceeds more iteratively - where you work a little and refine your
scope, work a little more, and keep refining your product (if I'm not 100%
accurate, someone should feel free to jump in and correct or clarify these
concepts).

So let me ask, is there any difference in the way that the documentation
process should respond to each methodology employed?

thnx
Gil

kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com on 11/09/99 06:01:08 PM

Please respond to kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com

To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
cc: (bcc: Gil Yaker/CIV/CSC)

Glad to oblige:
Q: Why is working from a spec like walking on water?
A: Impossible to do unless it's frozen

Have fun!

Kimber Hebert Miller
Affiliated Computer Services