Survey: Salary/Hourly (Exempt/Non-Exempt) Status

Subject: Survey: Salary/Hourly (Exempt/Non-Exempt) Status
From: Jim_McAward -at- pittway -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:26:35 -0500

Ladies, Gents...

I've been asked by the HR department to classify our technical writers
as either exempt (salaried) or non-exempt (hourly), and to provide
some supporting stats (in other words, anecdotal evidence) for my
classification.

The facts on the ground in downstate New York are confusing. Tech
writers in the military-industrial complex (Northrop Grumman, Lockheed
Martin, Sperry/Unisys) are exempt, yet paid straight time for hours
worked beyond their weekly 40. Tech writers in the commercial
electronics or software sector are almost always exempt, but get no
compensation for hours worked beyond 40. (ADEMCO falls into the
commercial electronics sector; we make home and commercial security
equipment.)

I therefore would like to survey the TechWR-L members for their
exempt/non-exempt status, then tie a bow on it and present it to HR.
(This really is HR's job, but I am closer to the problem, and my
budgets will be seriously affected by a change.)

Please e-mail me directly with answers to these three questions:

1) Job title
2) Salaried (exempt) or Hourly (non-exempt)
3) If salaried (exempt), do you get paid for time worked past 40
hours? If so - do you get paid straight time, or time-and-a-half?

I will summarize to the list... please make Eric glad and *don't*
post your responses directly to TECHWR-L!

Many thanks for your participation...

Jim
(Jim_McAward -at- ademco -dot- com)

PS: Exempt and non-exempt are terms from the National Labor Relations
Board. "Non-exempt" means that you are covered by the Fair Labor
Standards Act of 1935, "Exempt" means you are not covered by that Act.

James G. McAward
Director, Technical Publications & Curriculum Development Alarm Device
Manufacturing Co. (ADEMCO)
Syosset, NY

"Happy is the heart of him who writes--- he is young each day."
--- Ptahoptep