RE: Internationalizing

Subject: RE: Internationalizing
From: Wil Gaffga <WilG -at- gibbscam -dot- com>
To: Tech Whirlers <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:48:21 -0800

on 11/7/99, Melanie wrote:

> Our solution to that, which probably wouldn't work for you this time round,
> is to not include screen shots in any of our documentation. Any features
> (windows, buttons, fields...) are referred to by name, and any purely
> iconic buttons (no text) are included as graphics.

> Even though including screenshots can be helpful, we made a decision that
> the time spent on updating them would be better spent doing other work to
> improve the doc.
>
> What do other people think about this approach?

I guess that would have to depend on the app you're documenting. For our
stuff, ooh, that would be bad, very bad. We have a highly graphical rather
complex app and end-users would never be able to relate what we're
referencing without a little help. Hell, I'd get lost. Then again, if you've
found and effective way to cut down your workload and produce a better
product ... Congrats!

Wil