RE: Are these words being used?

Subject: RE: Are these words being used?
From: "Beth Weise Moeller" <bmoeller -at- imediaconsult -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:59:04 -0500

This is where it gets tricky. The original message did not say what type of
documentation was involved. After writing Standard Operating Procedures for
line operators in the plastic industry, I learned that the terms to use are
the terms that the operator knows. My SOPs used many terms that weren't
standard or "official," but they were known to every operator in that plant.
More importantly, when ISO 9001 inspectors observed procedures and asked
questions, the terminology used by the operators matched that used in the
documentation.

It was my job to communicate the procedure clearly and I did that by using
terms that the operators used. Now, if those same SOPs were to be *used in
the same manner* by people outside the plant, terms would need to be
standardized across my audiences. Fortunately for me, it was highly
unlikely that anyone outside the plant would be mixing up 200,000 pounds of
powder to create plastic pellets. I was confident that only people inside
this plant would be using these procedures.

Beth

Beth Weise Moeller
Interactive Media Consulting
beth -at- imediaconsult -dot- com