RE: Newbie in Houston

Subject: RE: Newbie in Houston
From: Ellen Black <eblack -at- usdata -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:20:22 -0600

To April:

I strongly disagree with the statement that says: "I know they exist, but I
can't see why a firm with any self respect would hire a tech writer without
a four-year degree. (Sorry.) Run, don't walk,to your nearest diploma mill
and get yourself a liberal arts education."

I've worked with many people who have a degree (some have multiple degrees),
and they still are completely unable to write well (or write at all). And,
I've worked with many people who do not have any type of degree, and they're
incredibly good writers. There is no hard and fast rule here. You don't have
to have a degree to be a good writer or to be sucessful (just ask Peter
Jennings).

So, please don't be disheartened by this statement. You keep a positive
attitude and contact everyone that you know in this field. You're going to
be just fine.

Ellen