Using MS Exchange for an intranet?

Subject: Using MS Exchange for an intranet?
From: Kaya Balke <kayab -at- pacbell -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 14:32:10 -0800

Hi all,

I work for an internet startup and am tasked with setting up the
infrastructure for internal communications and procedures (which sounds like
an intranet to me) using the MS Exchange 5.5 server. I don't know anything
about this server and would much prefer to create an HTML based intranet,
but my CTO seems to think that the Exchange server is the way to go.
Management's argument against setting up an HTML-based intranet is that many
of the people who will be editing/adding content aren't technical and
wouldn't be comfortable editing HTML pages or FTPing files to/from the
server.

In order to plan a good infrastructure, I need some information on what is
possible with Exchange. Any comments on using Exchange, its limitations or
advantages, problems to watch out for, links to additional resources,
arguments for going with an HTML based system :-), etc. will be much
appreciated.

If there's interest, I'll summarize responses for the list.

Thanks,

--kaya

kayab -at- pacbell -dot- net