Re: Mac/Win Online Help

Subject: Re: Mac/Win Online Help
From: Dan Brinegar <vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com>
To: "Carl L. Young" <carl -at- digipubcorp -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:54:51 -0700 (MST)

Hi Carl, hi Gang 8-)

At 8:41 AM -0700 11/4/99, Carl L. Young wrote:
>I've a client who has a cross-platform software product. They are using PDF
>to create help files, but want to investigate other solutions.

>I've been out of the Mac market for years; I found something in the
>Techwriter's archive about Macs supporting HTMLHelp. Is this true, and if
>so, what versions of the MacOS support it? I especially want to know what
>tools are available to create Win and Mac online help.

It's a compiled HTML Help, using a free Apple-supplied SDK available at
http://developer.apple.com/sdk/index.html, which sez:

>>The contents of the Apple Help SDK enable developers to create html
>>based help files that can be used with the Apple Help on Mac OS 8.6 or
>>later systems. The SDK contains the Apple Help documentation, the tools
>>necessary to create Sherlock type indexes, example help files and a
>>tutorial.

I'm looking into it, but at this time I don't think that it's possible to
produce help in Mac and PC formats without a bit of post-processing... I'll
letcha know what I come up with.

regards,
dan'l

Dan Brinegar Information Developer/Research Droid

"Leveraging Institutional Memory through Contextual
Digital Asymptotic Approximations of Application Processes
suited to utilization by Information-Constrained,
Self-Actualizing Non-Technologists."

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com CCDB Vr2Link
http://www.vr2link.com Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.