Re: Link testing methodology

Subject: Re: Link testing methodology
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 14:12:15 -0500

Chris Hamilton wrote:

> ... It seems to me that regardless of whether you
> automate this task or do it manually, you have to start by creating a
> list of each link on each page and its appropriate target. What's more,
> because of the fact that compiling such a list is likely to be a long,
> arduous task,

The text-based browser Lynx or the Amaya browser/editor will both
automatically generate a table of links for an HTML file. Amaya will
also combine multiple HTML files into one big "book" file and then
build a links table for that.

Both are free software, included in most Linux or <whatever>BSD
distributions. For Amaya, including a Windows version, you can also
look at:

http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

W3C (World Wide Web Consortium, the standards-setting body for the web)
also have HTML validating software:

http://validator.w3.org/

and an "HTML tidy" utility that cleans up various oddities:

http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

I'm not sure if either of those checks links.