Re: Question: JPEG formats

Subject: Re: Question: JPEG formats
From: "Sergej Rinc" <info -at- sinonim -dot- si>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 20:21:12 +0200

Hi John,

as Dick Margulis has explained, stick to the basic option, but do it
anywhere (not just in PhotoShop). Just to harden (opposite of simplify? :-)
things you, I've learned back in 1995 that JPEG (acronym for Joint
Photographic Expert Group) had 59 so called flavours or variants - different
implementers, some of course commercial, have done it their way.

If I take into account that JPEG has later gained at least one additional
flavour (lossless - that is if you resave it again as JPEG no information is
being lost as image is the same as before) then there are at least 60
flavours. Hu, what a smart conclusion ...

OK, so what flavours web browsers support really depends on their graphic
libraries used. As there are different, their JPEG support is different. For
more information just for JPEG format search the web for a JPEG FAQ. It was
and probably still is maintained by one of the authors of JPEG
specification.

Sergej Rinc, Doc-To-Help Certified Trainer
Tehnical Director, Sinonim d.o.o.
Member, International Webmasters Association http://iwanet.org
mailto:info -at- sinonim -dot- si, http://www.sinonim.si/index.html