RE: Your opinion needed re: Best Tech. Writing Programs

Subject: RE: Your opinion needed re: Best Tech. Writing Programs
From: Bill Hartzer <BHartzer -at- cha-systems -dot- com>
To: "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:38:35 -0500

Regarding the "Best" Technical Writing Programs:

I know there are a LOT of "new" technical writing programs out there,
and having gone through this recently (I graduated in 1992 if that's
recent),
you might be interested in knowing that to do well as a technical writer
it's not really necessary to have graduated from a Technical Writing School
or a school that offers a Technical Writing program.

In many cases, it matters _more_ if you know "what you're writing about"
than
if you specifically know the technical writing tools and techniques. Once
you
graduate and have your degree, it's pretty easy to pick up the necessary
technical writing tools and techniques. However, you will do better if
you're
an expert in the field that you're writing about.

Personally, I graduated with a BA in English, and ended up being a Technical
Writer in the computer software industry. Tools and techniques are easy to
pick
up; it's getting to know your subject that's more difficult.

Hope this helps,
Bill Hartzer
Technical Writer/Webmaster
CHA Systems, Inc.