RE: Page numbering problems in Word

Subject: RE: Page numbering problems in Word
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- email -dot- msn -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:24:57 -0400

Sarah:

Here's how I do it in Word 97. (This is pretty
general.)

Reserve the use of Word's built-in heading styles
Heading 1 through Heading 9 for your numbering
scheme. Create a second series of heading styles
your authors can use for text headings. (Example
H1, H2, H3.)

Use Heading 1 for the chapters. Give it an alias
of HC if you like. Use Heading 2 for the
appendices (HA). Use Heading 3 for the glossary
and index (HZ). (Ignore the hierarchy, they're
just three different styles.)

Create these styles so they look right, but
WITHOUT any numbering.

Use the Heading 1 style to define an outline
number sequence. Be sure you click the More button
and design and assign all the different levels of
this sequence in that one session.

Level 1 will be assigned to Heading 1 by default.
Design level 2 and assign it to Heading 2. Design
level 3 and assign it to Heading 3. I suggest you
start the chapters at 1, the appendices at A, and
the glossary at Y.

Create one template (Manual.dot) that controls the
styles and everything. Create documents based on
this style that hold the initial content for your
front matter, chapter, appendix, glossary, and
index. Change their extension to DOT and put them
in a template subfolder so the authors can use
them like templates to create new documents.

Use the built-in dialogs to format your captions
and page numbers to include the chapter number as
required.

Email me for details any time. I'm sending you
another copy of this email with a sample document
attached.

Bear