Re: Are best practices standards?

Subject: Re: Are best practices standards?
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:11:28 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:

> It seems to me that if you want a creative environment it needs to be free.

"Form is liberating." (I'm not sure who I'm quoting.)

Haiku, sonnets, 26.5-minute TV episodes, design of anything that has to
interface with something else, ... Methinks most creativity is constrained.

> As any half-decent artist will attest, creation comes from inspiration and
> hard work - not from a really swell looking methodology.

Yes, but what about "method" acting, and other systematic approaches?

> I am not an art historian
> but I am 99% certain that the masters of art and science who changed human
> perception of the universe did not write up an exquisite analysis process
> before they went to work.

No, but many of them studied perspective or harmony and counterpoint or ...
Da Vinci studied anatomy in great detail, to the point of doing dissections.

Of course, the great ones go beyond their training to create something new.