RE: Are best practices standards?

Subject: RE: Are best practices standards?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Sharon Burton-Hardin'" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:33:03 -0400

Sharon wrote in part:
<I am not entirely sure that tech writing is best thought of as a creative
endeavor. While there is certainly a lot of creativity involved, it is also
a structured process that often is not creative. >

Creative masters use tools, paintbrushes, chisels, typewriters, to convey a
message, whether verbal or visual. Isn't that what we do? Andrew is
right--standards are tools. They're the means to an end not the end itself.
God help me if I ever stop being creative in what I do-trying to look at new
ways to present information, new ways to write it clearly. Somebody tell me
what's not creative about that!

BTW I'm a regularly employed TW :)

Connie Giordano