Re: Writing press-releases

Subject: Re: Writing press-releases
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 18:52:34 -0400

Patrick Meyers writes:

> How come San Francisco State University's Tech Writing Certification Program
> includes a course that teaches writers how to write Press Releases?
>
> Is this a tech writing duty, or is this more a copywriter in a marketing
> department duty? Do some programs mix this stuff?
>
> Patrick

That's going to depend on the organization one works with. I've been asked
to write first drafts, at least, of virtually every kind of corporate
communication. Some people, and some organizations, believe that a writer
can write anything. (I won't even go into the fact that some people believe
that anybody with a third grade education can write.)

So, you shouldn't be surprised if you get asked to write the first draft of
a new Marketing brochure or press release or just about anything. Oh, and
as a personal comment, I don't think this is all bad. I think a writer
should be willing to tackle a lot of different things. It's not a bad thing
to do different things. Of course, there are people and organizations that
take advantage of the writer and dump all writing tasks on the writer.

As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something."

Tom Murrell