Re: Newbie Blues

Subject: Re: Newbie Blues
From: "B. Pfister" <bpfister -at- frii -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:49:27 -0600

Hi Gus,

I assume you are fresh out of school without a few years of full-time
tech writing experience, and you are proposing to do the majority of
your work at home. Could you specify what your real reasons are for
wanting to do this?

I recommend you don't. It would be valuable to your development as a
tech writer to work in an on-site team environment for a while. The
experience will be something you can't get working alone at home.

It's a mistake for anyone to hire a recent graduate (at any level)
from a tech comm program, and put them in the position of manager
based solely on their degree. What you are proposing seems no
different to me: after spending no time in the trenches
cross-training with a team to develop your skills and experience, you
would like to withdraw yourself from a world of learning opportunity.

Betsy Pfister