Re: Writing proposals - book recommendation

Subject: Re: Writing proposals - book recommendation
From: Marie Mayer <mhmayer -at- iastate -dot- edu>
To: "MacLemale, Laura A." <Laura -dot- A -dot- MacLemale -at- bender -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:19:33 -0500

At 4:52 PM -0400 9/22/99, MacLemale, Laura A. wrote:
>The book: "Writing Winning Business Proposals: Your Guide to Landing the
>Client, Making the Sale, and Persuading the Boss," by Richard C. Freed,
>Shervin Freed, Joseph D. Romano, and Joe Romano (contributors), 1995, McGraw
>Hill. ISBN 0070219257.
>
>It is available from Amazon.com (as of this date) for $13.56. (I have no
>affiliation with the authors, publisher, or Amazon.com; this is just a
>personal observation.)
>
>I have lent my copy to a couple of other tech writers, and they have found
>it helpful if a bit dry. Hope this recommendation is useful.

I'll second the recommendation of this book. When I was in graduate
school, the business proposal class I took was taught by Rich Freed (of the
book). At that time, he was still developing some of the material for the
book. I found his approach so effective that I later bought the book to
have on my shelf--and I've pulled it down several times to use when I'm
writing something. Most recently, I used it to help me as I drafted a
proposal for a non-profit organization to purchase its own Web server.
(They got the server.)

\\||//
/ 00 \
| (oo) |
| |
| Marie Mayer, Publications Editor |
| 101 Durham Center 515-294-2787 (phone) |
| Computation Center 515-294-1717 (fax) |
| Iowa State University |
| Ames, IA 50011-2251 mhmayer -at- iastate -dot- edu |