IBM syntax diagrams: how do they do it?

Subject: IBM syntax diagrams: how do they do it?
From: Chris Hamilton <caxdj -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:04:23 -0400

I've gotten multiple requests to use IBM-style syntax diagrams to
document commands in one of our products. These diagrams look like this,
sort of:

command _____arg1_______arg3________arg4________ ...
|____arg2____| |______arg5_____|

|______________|

We can use VISIO to make these diagrams, but several of the commands
have a l-o-t of command-line arguments, and the time and effort required
would be substantial. If I can find an easier, quicker way, that would
be a good thing.

Does anyone know what IBM does to create these diagrams? Is there an
quicker way, maybe an automated way of creating this? It's not that I
don't want to put the effort in. I just want to make sure I'm not
spending four days on something I can do in four hours.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Hamilton
caxdj -at- earthlink -dot- net