RE: onsite vs on site

Subject: RE: onsite vs on site
From: SLHOLLAND -at- micronpc -dot- com
To: VNurre -at- Aegonusa -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:35:37 -0600

Vickie --

Check your dictionary for this. One of your choices can't be "more correct"
than the other. One is correct and one isn't.

"Onsite" is incorrect. The exception would be if a company's style guide
requires the use of "onsite." Then, for that company, onsite would be
correct.

You're correct in saying "The staff is on site," just as you would say "The
staff is on location."

To create an adjective, hyphenate the words. For example, you'd say "We need
to get an on-site inspection." Hope that helps.

Stephanie Holland
Technical Communication Manager
Information Technology Department
Micron Electronics (Nampa, Idaho)
mailto:slholland -at- micronpc -dot- com
http://www.micronpc.com