Re: Creating a consistent look and feel for docs

Subject: Re: Creating a consistent look and feel for docs
From: "Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:21:39 -0400

> I was hired to create the docs. My manager wants to have a
consistent look
> and feel to all documents created by our department, which
includes
> documents written by the software engineers and the managers.
I am
> currently working on a style guide. I am also creating a Word
template and
> sample documents that others can use.

[snip]

> I don't want to have to spend hours fixing up others documents
before they
> can be published, and we don't want to hire a word processing
person to do
> it. Have any of you had any experience in getting people outside
the
> Documentation group to create documents according to a
standard?

I haven't done this myself, but I do have a few ideas. If you have not
done so already, you might want to check out Woody's Office
Watch (you can find it from http://www.wopr.com) for the "Word of
Law" column, which deals with some of those issues.

My biggest suggestion is to have custom toolbar/menus with your
templates, where you (1) remove anything that you don't want the
users to do and (2) add buttons/menus for easy access to custom
macros.

For example, you could already have a table of contents in place (it
just won't have much substance) and a toolbar button to "finish" a
document that auto-applies styles, updates the table of contents,
and does any other cleanup work that you can make routine.

Good luck!

- Michele

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280