Punctuating parentheses

Subject: Punctuating parentheses
From: "Teresa Wittel" <teresa -dot- wittel -at- microchip -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:13 -0700

Cassandra asks about punctuation near parentheses and what the latest
edition of The Chicago Style Guide is.

OK, this has probably been answered several times, but I can't resist.
My copy of Chicago (14th Edition) is dated 1993, but I still use it.
(Been thinking that I should update it to the latest edition, too.)
Reference 5.14 clearly states that periods (and other punctuation)
fall inside the parentheses when they enclose a complete sentence, and
outside the parentheses when they enclose a partial sentence (love
that Chicago).

I've noticed a lot of questions on this list that could be resolved by
a little research in The Chicago Style Guide. It is a very useful book
and covers a lot of publishing ground. No tech writer should be
without one.

Personally, I think Reference 5.13 (regarding punctuation around
quotation marks) is more interesting. I'm American, but I just LIKE
the British style. It makes more sense to me, especially since we do
parentheses that way. However, I see that most (American) teachers
seem to prefer the American style. Ugh, this creates a problem for my
poor son, when his mom and his teacher argue over where the
punctuation goes in his homework. ;-)

Hey, I can list another little annoyance, too. Hyphenated words in
titles should all be initial-capped, unless the subsequent elements
are words you would not normally capitalize in a title, like articles
or prepositions (Chicago, 7.128). Lately, I've run into a lot people
who think otherwise. Does a later version of Chicago differ on this
rule?

Teresa Wittel
Sr. Technical Writer
(teresa -dot- wittel -at- microchip -dot- com)
Microchip Technology, Inc.