Re: preface questions

Subject: Re: preface questions
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 16:49:49 -0500

According to the Chicago Manual of Style (14th edition) the preface
follows the TOC. Chicago lists the parts of a book in this order.

1. Book half title
2. Series title, list of contributors, frontispiece, or blank page
3. Title page
4. Copyright notice, publisher's agencies, pringitn history, country
where printed, ISBN, CIP
5. Dedication or epigraph
6. Blank page
7. Table of contents
8. List of illustrations
9. List of tables
10. Foreword
11. Preface
12. Acknowledgments (if not part of preface)
13. Introduction (if not part of text)
14. List of abbreviations or chronology
15. Text
16. Appendix(ss)
17. Notes
18. Glossary
19. Bibliography
20. List of contributors

Brierley, Sean wrote:

<snip>

> I put the preface before the TOC, in my books. The main reason I do this is
> because that's the way it was done before I got here. I am considering
> changing this, to put the preface after the TOC,

<snip>