Re: directory and path syntax query

Subject: Re: directory and path syntax query
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "Weiner, Kandis" <kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 14:57:34 -0600

At 10:42 AM 99/10/06 -0400, Weiner, Kandis wrote:

I want to talk about a particular directory (which is relative to a program
directory): \ProgramX\bin

What is the appropriate syntax for referring to this directory in a
technical document:

c:\Program Files\Company\ProgramX\bin

\ProgramX\bin

.\ProgramX\bin

For a directory that is relative to the directory where our product is installed, I refer to it as

PRODUCT_INSTALL\bin

(where PRODUCT_INSTALL is in italics). Somewhere I say:
"... where PRODUCT_INSTALL is the directory where GroovyProduct is installed. If GroovyProduct is installed in its default location, this will be C:\Program Files\Company\Program\."

This allows for cases where customers do not install it in the default location. We also have a number of directories relative to that base directory, so it is handy to have a term to refer to it by. The fact that is shown in italics helps clue people in that its a variable. (At least, it will if they're familiar with the traditional UNIX conventions.)

Just my two cents,
Philip.