RE: Frame to HTML Help question

Subject: RE: Frame to HTML Help question
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:15:33 -0600

Ola asks about converting Frame files to HTML Help:

> The question that arises concerns the most efficient way to do this.
> Converting
> directly to HTML from Frame presents many problems. We have found that it
> is
> best to save the Frame doc as .RTF and then import that .RTF doc into
> ForeHelp.
> Some people in our group, having had bad experiences with Word, want to
> leave
> Word out of the equation altogether. Others (including myself) who are
> totally
> familiar with Word would like to use it to edit the .RTF document.

Honestly, I'm not getting paid to sing the praises of WebWorks Publisher
(although I should probably look into it). However, having used HTML
Transit, Frame's native HTML filters, various export and rework schemes, I
haven't found anything that's as robust and customizable as WebWorks
Publisher. It has templates for vanillla HTML, DHTML, Quadralay's own
cross-browser/platform help format, MS HTML Help, JavaHelp, and WinHelp. You
can customize any of these templates or develop your own. Right now, I'm
using it to generate context-sensitive help using a combination of HTML and
a client's proprietary scripting language.

Mind you, it's not cheap, but if you have a lot of work to do, WWP is well
worth the price.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
International Communications Design & Development
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
Y2K Complacent