RE: Reasons not to use the Courier font

Subject: RE: Reasons not to use the Courier font
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 12:05 -0500

Yes, I'm using the postscript versions of Gill.

I went through all the font format wars. I think, in fact, that TrueType, done
well, is probably a superior technology to Postscript fonts.

But that's the rub, isn't it? Done Well. I've seen blessed few TrueType fonts
which have been done well (even from Apple, the inventor of the technology,
though their Garamond isn't too bad). I even bought a font program so I could
switch all my PS fonts over to True Type (Font Monger, if you're interested).
It was OK, but the results were worse, especially when viewing on screen, than
the Type 1 fonts.

So I decided to scrap the conversion process and use the fonts in whichever
format they were created in. I had Gill in PS, so I used the PS version. I had
Palatino in TT, so I used it. And so it goes. I've also reduced the number of
fonts I've used which are not from the major foundries. Some aren't available
anywhere else, but when I've had a choice I've gone to Adobe, ITC, and
Bitstream for them. The fonts seem to be better hinted and perform better, both
in the printer and on screen. Just one more example, I guess, of Getting What
You Pay For.

Funny, but since making that decision I've had a near-total remission of font
related problems. I've not had trouble in making PDFs, but I don't need to make
many and, as noted, most of the time I'm using a PS font.

Am I saying small houses can't make good fonts? No. I'm just saying if, while
on deadline, I have a choice between relying on a familiar foundry or an
unknown for a particular effect, I'll go with the familiar.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224