RE: RE: Online Manual (PDF)

Subject: RE: RE: Online Manual (PDF)
From: garret -dot- h -dot- romaine -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com
To: SRosende -at- thefund -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:37:28 -0700

Susana asks:
> Do you know if one can do a search with PDFs? Please let me know a.s.a.p.
> if you do! (By the way, the PDF manual would be included on the CD as well
> as posted on the site.)

[Hey, I've been back on the list three minutes and I can already answer a
question! Cool!]

I know you can do limited searches inside Acrobat 4.0. Once you open the
document, you click on the binoculars button and enter your text string in
the "Find What" box. There are a bunch of other navigation aids, like the
major headings in the left margin.

What you can't do is search through the PDF library from outside. If you
need to know which PDF contains a reference to a certain text string, I
think you'd need HTML for that.

Garret Romaine
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, Oregon
garret -dot- h -dot- romaine -at- tek -dot- com